Stay-at-home mom says she made over $13,000 dumpster diving

0

A thrifty stay-at-home mom has revealed she found $13,000 worth of new items, including make-up and even treadmills, as she dove into a dumpster.

Megan Godinez from Dallas, Texas has managed to get her hands on just about everything from beauty products to expensive gym equipment.

The 30-year-old mother-of-four claimed she had spent the past three years diving through bins to see what she could find – a hobby she devotes up to five hours a week to , reported Mail Online.

Thanks to her “thrifty” finds, Megan no longer needs to spend money on hygiene products or even seasonal decorations, because she always manages to come across different “nuggets” while diving in the trash cans.

In the list of her finds, the stay-at-home mom revealed that she put shampoo, food, a few coffee machines, clothes and even six treadmills.

Godinez saves money by diving into the trash.
Mercury Press & Media Ltd.

“It started as a hobby after watching a video of something similar on YouTube.”

“I was intrigued to go see if any of the department stores near me had anything interesting in their bins.”

“From there, I started digging through the trash cans of retail stores, bakeries, and clothing stores.”

“I make sure to avoid restaurants and places like doctors’ offices.”

“I’ve found loads of stuff over the past three years, 75% of which are donations and the other 25% I keep for myself and my family.”

A whole collection of Halloween costumes and products.
A whole collection of found Halloween costumes and merchandise.
Mercury Press & Media Ltd.

“I always take what I need, and I never take too much.”

“I try to leave enough items for the next picker to come and have.

“The bins are always full of useful stuff, which I tend to leave every dive with a full car trunk.”

While there were many finds, his favorites include a Smeg coffee machine worth $266, Shark vacuum cleaners worth $379, a Wii U worth $299, and a Xbox One worth $479, which was given to his son, Donovan, 11, who loves games. .

“I’m really so shocked at the amount of trash big companies have, from little things like shampoo with broken caps, to brand new consoles that have a crushed box,” she continued.

MERCURY PRESS.  (Pictured: A range of DIY items.) A dumpster diver mum has revealed how she found more than £10,000 worth of new items such as food, make-up and TREADMILLS.
Godinez said she loves everything from beauty products to seasonal decorations to treadmills.
Mercury Press & Media Ltd.

“A local pet store was selling stuffed animals for $5 and donating the money from each sale to a local shelter.

“A few weeks later, I went diving in the bins behind the store and the bins were full of stuffed animals they were selling.

“It was awful, I literally filled the back of the truck with them and gave them to the shelter they used the toys for.”

Megan’s thrifty shopping also saw her return home with bags full of seasonal decorations, children’s toys, coins and even a brand new pair of Hugo Boss leather sneakers worth $190. .

Megan also documents her dumpster dives on TikTok and YouTube (@megantheddmvp) and has received a mixed reaction from people online and from family and friends.

Stay-at-home mom spends up to five hours a week digging through trash
The stay-at-home mom spends up to five hours a week digging through trash.
Mercury Press & Media Ltd.

She said: “My family was very hesitant about it at first, but they slowly recovered and have been supportive since learning about the waste that big business creates for no reason.

“My husband sometimes gets a little disgusted when I bring home perfectly wrapped snacks like crisps and cookies, so he sometimes needs encouragement to eat them.

“People on social media just seem shocked at the amount of stuff being thrown around, and a lot of people are asking me which stores I dive into or I better do it themselves.

“Companies that just throw items away because there’s a dent in the box or a crack in a bottle is a huge problem, all those pristine items are just going to go to waste.

“I hope that by documenting my findings it will lead to change, or maybe more people will be able to salvage neatly stored devices and belongings.”

This story originally appeared on The Sun and has been reproduced here with permission.

Share.

Comments are closed.